Gulf of Squillace

Journey through the history of the Gulf of Squillace


The district of the Gulf of Squillace and present a high potential historic visit and get to know. Santa Caterina is located in a strategic position with respect to the most important historical sites, is therefore the ideal place to stay if you want to spend a holiday of relaxation and culture. The following describes some of the places worth a visit

  • Archaeological Park Kaulon


With this itinerary you can traverses a part of the history of the territory and the first Greek colonies until the first years of 900.



Scolacium Park

Scolacium Park also called Scylletium is what remains of what at the time he was one of the first Greek colonies. The park is located in the Municipality of Roccelletta di Borgia.
In a territory that had already seen the human presence in distant eras (the Palaeolithic and Neolithic period, but especially in the Bronze age), the greek colonists, led according to the tradition, by the Athenian hero Menesteo or, according to what he says Cassiodorus, by Ulysses, who returned from the Trojan war, they planted the city of Skylletion.
Inside the park you can find not only a lot only finds of greek origin but also Roman and Byzantine periods. In fact, after the roman conquest the place is called Minervium or Cologne Minervia. Minervia Scolacium is the name of the roman colony that was founded in 123-122 BC to the site where previously there was a Greek city of Skylletion, north of Caulonia.

{gallery}scolacium{/gallery}

Kaulon

Archaeological Park is located in the town of Monasterace. The site is of significant interest as it documents the thriving life and activities of the territory since the times of the ancient Greeks.
The excavations have brought to light a temple and many artifacts which are preserved at the museums of Monasterace and Reggio. Oct ober8, 2013 is announced the discovery of a bronze table of V century A. C. with written in alphabet Achaean placed on 18 lines. It is the longer text never found in Magna Graecia. About assumptions concerning its origin, the sources show two main interpretations. The first, supported by Strabo (VI, 1, 10) and Tempio Pausania the Periegeta (VI, 3, 12), gives the Achaeans the role of founders, in the person of Typhoon of Egio.

{gallery}kaulon{/gallery}

Stilo's Catholic

Of particular interest is the catholic of Stylus, falling back in homonymous municipality in the province of Reggio Calabria. The Catholic Church is a small byzantine church with central plan in the shape of a square, and is located on the slopes of monte Consolino. Since 2006 is part of the list of candidates, together with 7 other sites basilian-byzantine calabrian, to become a part of the UNESCO list of world heritage sites. Also near to the catholic and you can see the ruins of a Norman castle. Subject to the Byzantine empire until the eleventh century, the Region of Calabria today it retains numerous testimonies of oriental art, the Catholic is a good example.

{gallery}cattolicastilo{/gallery}

Ferdinandea

The Ferdinandea is a territory of 3600 has of calabrian greenhouses for the municipalities of Stylus, Bivongi Brognaturo, Mongiana and Serra San Bruno in the provinces of Reggio Calabria and Vibo Valentia. The area is almost entirely covered by woods of beech and fir.
The name has its origin by Ferdinand II of Bourbon, which, starting from 1832 the use as hunting area by carving out a small villa. Subsequently, it was used as steel service center and built the ironworks, the barracks, the residential buildings and administrative, the stables and the stables. Today it is an interesting archeological and industrial archeology, immersed in a territory of great naturalistic value.

{gallery}ferdinandea{/gallery}

The Certosa of San Bruno and Stefano

Of immense historical value and spiritual and the Carthusian Abbey of Serra San Bruno. San Bruno founded in 1091, in this pleasant territory, the Eremo di Santa Maria Turri The Abbey was rebuilt between 1500 and 1600 it was destroyed during the earthquake of 1783. After many ups and downs that lasted for years the monks did finally return in 1857 and only in 1899 the new monastic complex is able to see the light. The monks have preserved a library with 25,000 volumes still today in enlargement. The Abbey is visited every year by thousands of visitors, including characters of high stature cultural and moral.

{gallery}certosasanbruno{/gallery}

Read 1773 times